- Medie- och kommunikationsvetenskap
- Institutionen för kommunikation och medier
Helgonabacken 12, Lund
Box 117, 221 00 Lund
Internpost hämtställe 20
I am a researcher in urban media and communication with a main interest in the interrelation between everyday life and cultural practice in cities. My doctoral dissertation in Media and Communication Studies, entitled Creative voices of the city: Articulating media, space and cultural identities by creative collectives in Southeast Asia, investigated the lived cultures of the individuals within creative collectives in the creative cities of Malaysia and Indonesia. Using a combination of ethnography and visual methodology in particular the photo-documentation in documentary photography mode, the monograph highlights the ways in which the collectives form alternative spaces to live and work as their subtle resistance, developing an organic and dynamic interplay between the physical, social, and digitally mediated spaces of creative cities.
Böcker (2 st)
- Habibi, Z. (2020). Creative voices of the city : Articulating media, space and cultural identities by creative collectives in Southeast Asia. Lund Studies in Media and Communication. Lund University. Doktorsavhandling.
- Habibi, Z. (2016). Surrounded by Images and Meanings : Essays on Media and Cultural Studies. Penerbit Komunikasi UII.
Artiklar (3 st)
- Habibi, Z. (2020). Book, craft and vintage suitcase : everyday media practice in creative collectives. Continuum : Journal of Media & Cultural Studies, 34, 117-132. Routledge.
- Habibi, Z. (2017). Participatory as everyday life: from creativity-based initiative to the production of networked space in Southeast Asian cities. Asian Journal of Media and Communication, 1, 123-136.
- Habibi, Z. (2016). Spotify dan tantangan kajian media digital. Remotivi.
Bokkapitel (1 st)
- Habibi, Z. (2020). Whose Cultural Memory? : Disruptive Tactics by the Creative Collectives in George Town, Malaysia. I Gu, X., Lim, M. K. & O'Connor, J. (Red.) Re-Imagining Creative Cities in Twenty-First Century Asia (pp. 113-128). Palgrave Macmillan.
Konferensbidrag (7 st)
- Habibi, Z. (2019). “Our community is not commodity” : A visual storytelling of subtle resistance in creative cities.
- Habibi, Z. (2019). The Voice from the Edge : A Digital Ethnography on Experiencing Identity Articulation within Creative Collectives in Indonesia and Malaysia.
- Habibi, Z. (2018). Juxtaposed narrative : The dilemma of cultural memory on display in George Town’s street art.
- Habibi, Z. (2018). Reshaping Organic Space by Creative Collective in George Town, Malaysia.
- Habibi, Z. (2017). Poetics of everyday creativity : The visual articulation on space by the collectives in Bandung, Indonesia.
- Habibi, Z. (2016). City identities and cultural memories : A digital ethnography of the poetics and politics of participatory cultures in Southeast Asian cities.
- Habibi, Z. (2016). Participatory as everyday life : From creativity-based initiative to the production of networked space in Southeast Asian cities.
Recensioner (1 st)
- Habibi, Z. (2018). Islamic Modernities in Southeast Asia. Exploring Indonesian Popular and Visual Culture, by Leonie Schmidt. Bijdragen tot de Taal-, Land- en Volkenkunde, 174, 538-541. Koninklijk Instituut voor Taal-, Land- en Volkenkunde.
Tidningsartiklar (1 st)
- Habibi, Z. (2016). A fever of creativity in Southern Swedish Cities. The Jakarta Post, 22-22.
Övrigt (1 st)
Övriga uppdrag och meriter
The complete list of my academic publications can be seen in http://lu.academia.edu/ZakiHabibi
I have also been a lecturer at the Department of Communications, Islamic University of Indonesia (UII), Yogyakarta since 2006, dealing with research, teaching, and student projects' supervision mainly in the field of media and cultural studies.
My teaching roles in Lund University are as follows:
- Spring 2018-2021 (VT18-21): "CÖSM25 Contemporary Southeast Asian Societies" every spring term at the MSc Programme of Asian Studies, Centre for East and Southeast Asian Studies, delivering a lecture series on media, popular, and visual culture in Southeast Asia.
- Autumn 2018 (HT18): "SKOC39/KOMC24 Introduction to Research Methods and Academic Writing", first-cycle (bachelor) student supervision at Helsingborg Campus.
- Spring 2021 (VT21): "SIMM34 Digital Media Research", co-course leader of this second-cycle (master) course at the Graduate School, Faculty of Social Sciences.